Friday 15 June 2012

Freecycle, ever heard of it?


Freecycle. Ever heard of it? Well, you and my spell check are it good company, because it doesn't recognize the word either.
Freecycle or The Freecycle Network was set up in May of 2003. It's motto is "Changing the world one gift at a time." The basic concept is to keep usable items out of landfill by passing them on or "gifting" them, to someone who can make use of them. 

The idea originated in the good ole' US of A, but quickly spread as the idea was such a good one. As of May 2011, the membership stood at 8,406,190 across 4,940 communities, in over 85 countries. All this despite being run by groups of volunteer moderators.

You are allowed to post 4 types of message: OFFER, WANTED, TAKEN, RECEIVED. I think its fairly obvious what they mean; You can OFFER something you no longer want or you can post a WANTED. Then you post the relevant TAKEN or RECEIVED post so the group members are updated and know not to email you anymore.

Different groups have different rules. I belong to 2 groups, Sheffield and Chesterfield. Both groups have rules, but one is more strict about how they are applied.

Its amazing what people will offer, and unfortunately there are some who will take advantage for their own profit. If you weren't too fussy, you could set up an entire house in a few months, just through collecting what people no longer want. That is part of the beauty of Freecycle. When I told you what Freecycle was all about, you probably thought, well I could just take it to the charity shop or sell it on eBay. Both good options, but lets face it, some items just won't sell. Freecycle is FREE to use and people come to you to collect what you have to offer. Also, it is local, so the impact on the environment is minimised. Of course its up to you how you dispose of your unwanted items, but as a last resort, think Freecycle.

Why am I posting about Freecycle?

Well, that brings me to my point, I am now officially a group moderator for the Sheffield Freecycle group. I'm one of a group of volunteers who apply the rules, check messages for mistakes and keep cheeky, greedy people in check.

Why have I decided to do this? Well, its all to do with how my CV looks when I return to work, whenever that may be. If you've read my first post and registered the bit about doing an eCommunications foundation degree, it might make sense. Forum moderation, blogging, emailing, basically broadcasting yourself via the internet is what its all about. Of course, the foundation degree is a long time away, but if I get experience now, shouldn't that help me in the future?

No comments:

Post a Comment